The Barcelona Pavilion was designed by Mies van der Rohe for the 1929 Barcelona International Exhibition. It was one of the key structures of the modern movement, equal in importance to Le Corbusier’s Villa Savoye, 1931, and Walter Gropius’ Bauhaus, 1926.
At first appearance, it appears as a hyper-modern house, but it functioned as a national pavilion representing the German nation in an international expo.
After the closure of the Exhibition, the Pavilion was disassembled in 1930. In the 1980s architects Ignasi de Solà-Morales, Cristian Cirici and Fernando Ramos supervised the reconstruction of the Pavilion as an exact replica of the original. The new building was opened on the original site in 1986.
As the Pavilion’s website states “four different kinds of marble – Roman travertine, green Alpine marble, ancient green marble from Greece and golden onyx from the Atlas Mountains – were used for the reconstruction, all of the same characteristics and provenance as the ones originally employed by Mies in 1929.”
For more photos, click on the Barcelona tab.