Hosies was built in the early 1950s in anticipation of the Melbourne   Olympics of 1956. The architects were Mussen, McKay and Potter. The  smaller front section seems to have detached from the tower, like a dis-assembled machine part. It predicts the Deconstructivism movement of two decades later. This didactic piece of Modernist design is at the corner Flinders & Elizabeth Streets.

“An extremely balanced building of refined geometrical collisions  composed of different textures and colours for a flamboyant and abstract visual effect”www.walkingmelbourne.com

Richard Beck‘s abstract mural is perfectly suited to the building, continuing the architectural theme in the two-dimensional plane.